Critical View Clubhouse

CLUBHOUSE

Ok Ladies, can't wait to hear (um, see) your thoughts about Ann Compton tonight.  What did you learn? Was there something in particular she said that really stood out to you?

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was really surprised by Ann Compton. Going into the show, I didn't think it would be as entertaining as it was. Clearly Ann has had practice capturing audiences, and she's pretty good at it.

As for her speech, I remember really liking the part where she talked about Hilary Clinton and what an influence she has on so many people, even people in different countries. When she spoke about how when Hilary opened many women's eyes about rights and values, I felt myself hanging on to her every word.

I also thought it was interesting that she thought she was only hired for being a woman. It's most likely true, but do you think the world still works like that? Hires people for diversity rather than skill? In most cases this probably isn't true, but it brought some things up that I have never thought about before. Personally I think that people don't quite think that way anymore, and most often hire women for their abilities rather than their gender. However I think that when it comes to recognition, things become unfair. Society is more likely to recognize the accomplishments of a man rather than a women.

One of the things I noticed is that the entire audience was made up of women. I didn't see a man the entire time I was there. Do you think Ann's audience was there just because she was a strong woman figure, or because she's an excellent and experienced reporter? If it had been a man speaking, how would the audience have changed? Would the gender ratio of the audience have been more equal?

Overall I loved hearing Ann Compton speak. She seemed really intelligent, and the stories she told were both enlightening and entertaining. However I wish people were there more for her personality rather than her gender.

You ask some good questions Victoria.  Sounds like your experience with Gender might really differ than Ann Comptons.  Amazing what has changed since her career started in the 70's.  Can you believe that women have only had the right to vote in our country since 1920?  Wonder what will change in the next 30 years?

I really enjoyed the Ann Compton event on Tuesday. I, like Victoria, was very much surprised by the entertainment value of the show. I was expecting the whole experience to be rather dry. As someone who spends too much time watching public speakers, I thought she had a lot of poise on stage. 

I found myself most entranced when she began talking about 9/11. Seeing as I was a mere age of 6 when it happened, I don't remember any details, whereas seemed to be recalling aspects from the day as it was yesterday. It was also really interesting to hear a first hand account on how our then president reacted to the day that changed America. 

Another talking point of hers that I really took to heart was a reporter's need for objectivity. Granted, as reviewer that is a concept that is foreign to us, but for her it is of vitality. Her job is to report facts, not opinions. 

In the end, I found it to be a really enjoyable night and Ann herself to be a really impressive individual.

This speaker series focuses on women..  Ann Compton had a lot of really interesting things to add to that conversation, which Victoria has already commented on.  Laura, Margret, Annette, what's your perspective there?

I was utterly surprised by how engaged Ann Campton was able to get me.  After being sick all of break, and tired, I was less than excited to sit through a lecture.  Luckily, it was nothing like what I was expecting it to be.  I realized, by the time they got to the question/answer portion that she had been talking for an hour, and I had actually managed to listen to every word.  I found myself disappointed when it was over, I wanted to hear more of her story.  

Half way through, I realized that as I was listening, I was taking notes about what it take to be successful in that  career.  Much of my life right now is filled with trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of it, so that was my over arching frame of mind while watching.  I wanted to know more about how she got to where she was, how did she become so successful?  When she shared that she never had to apply for a job, my jaw dropped.  Especially today, when there is so much talk about the difficulty to find a job, having a great job without even applying is unheard of. All of the hard work that she has done, her credentials and her life experiences add up to be why she has made it so far, and is something I admire.

The part of her talk that touched me the most was, like Laura, when she talked about 9/11.  Most of it was simply very interesting, hearing the story of how the day unfolded from an inside source made me feel like I was there, and as if she was sharing a secret with us.  But beyond the story itself was when she mentioned her sons friend who died, when she was able to put a face with the disaster and broke down crying.  When she said that I got shivers, and even when I shared that with my mom I got shivers.  Something so simple, that makes so much sense.

In response to Victoria, I think that today there are still many organizations that hire or accept people based on the diversity they wish to reach in their establishment.  There are rules against it, but racial profiling and hiring or accepting based on gender or other physical characteristics still happens today.  I think the difference is, more people don't accept it, so it is more hidden.  I do agree that women are hired today more based on ability.  Even considering where women were in the workforce during WWII, where men were always in charge, and treated women poorly, and never gave women much credit.  I have a pamphlet from 1943 describing how to hire, train and work with women, and it literally reads, "relate her job to previous experience, usually domestic."  As women, we have come far since then.  

Lastly, the audience.  I also noticed the abundance of women before we even got inside.  I saw maybe one or two men who were probably dragged there by their wives.  I feel that having an audience of mostly women allowed there to be an unspoken safe space to listen to Ann's experience from a woman's perspective.  

Listening to her story was informative, entertaining and inspiring.  I have great respect for her, and the work that she does, and has done.  I am glad she was able to keep me awake, and teach me a thing or two.

Annette,

Thanks for addressing all of our thoughts here.  I'm particularly curious about your pamphlet.  Anyone else have the conversation with a woman in your life?  My Mom talks about how she was turned down for a teaching fellowship in the 1960's. This was the south, where the Dept. Chair told her they wouldn't waste that on a woman who would just end up getting married!  

How many professional female theater critics do you think there are today?  

RSS

Events

© 2014   Created by Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service